Switch Operating Modes
During installation, CSE was installed in one of two modes. This section allows you to switch between them. The two available modes are:
- Outlook Only Mode - CSE operates at the software layer as a plug in to Microsoft Outlook In Outlook Only Mode, CSE is installed at the ‘software layer’ as a plug- in to your mail client. In this mode, there are no known incompatibilities with 3rd party software but some advanced options are not available. This mode is recommended for Outlook users and may be more suited to enterprise users as it features full compatibility with Microsoft Exchange.
- Network Level Mode - (works with any e-mail client) In Network Level Mode, the application is installed at the network layer and operates using a Layered Service Provider. In this mode, CSE will process ALL appropriate mail traffic that is sent to or received at designated ports using mail specific protocols. The obvious advantage to the Network Level system is that it makes CSE client agnostic. It doesn’t matter whether your mail client is Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Incredimail or whatever. CSE will intercept all email traffic and deploy the encryption and signing processes on those messages before ‘forwarding’ the mail onto your particular, software level, client. Users that install CSE in LSP mode may encounter some compatibility issues with 3rd party anti-virus and anti-spam software that also need use LSP to scan email traffic. (Click here for a list).
To see a matrix of functional differences between the two operational modes, see Appendix 4.
Important Note: The Choose Operation Mode functionality will be available only if Comodo SecureEmail detects a suitable version of Outlook client installed in your system.
To change the mode
1. First select 'Choose operating mode' :
2. Next, choose which mode you wish to switch to:
- CSE's current mode of operation is listed above the two choices.
- Modes that are not available will be greyed out and not selectable.
- You cannot 'switch' to your current mode of operation. Your current mode will be greyed out.
- If you don't have Microsoft Outlook installed then the 'Microsoft Outlook only' option will be greyed out (you can only use CSE in Network Level Mode.
- Microsoft Outlook only mode is not supported in 64 bit version of Comodo SecureEmail.
3. After you have selected your new mode, click 'Next'. If you switch to Network Level Mode ('All other clients') then the wizard will require you to restart your computer to complete the process. If you do not wish to change mode at this time, click 'Back' (to return to the Product Maintenance options) or click 'Cancel' (to quit the wizard altogether).
Comodo SecureEmail User Guide | © 2010 Comodo Security Solutions Inc. | All Rights Reserved