By Encrypting and Digitally Signing an email, your contact/recipient can verify your identity as the sender and will know that the original content of the message has not changed since it was first sent.
- Encrypting your email means that it can be deciphered and read only by the owner of the corresponding private key i.e. the intended recipient so that the confidential data sent by you cannot be stolen or modified on its way through the Internet.
- Digitally Signing your emails proves that the message and attachments really came from you and not someone masquerading as you.
- Digitally Signing your emails also ensures that the message and attachments cannot be modified or tampered with en-route through the Internet without the recipient being alerted.
Truly secure email is therefore a combination of two equally important techniques:
i. Encryption - which ensures security of information and privacy.
ii. Digital Signing - which proves that a message has not been altered during transmission and that the message came from the sender.
SecureEmail provides the ability to have all your outgoing emails automatically encrypted and digitally signed.
The Security Settings management interface allows you to specify the protection level for Encryption and Digital Signing the emails that you send. It can be accessed by clicking 'Security' button in the configuration management interface.
It has the following two options:
- Default Level Settings - Comodo SecureEmail allows users to quickly apply preset security configurations by moving the built-in security level slider. Each setting determines protection levels for Encryption, Digital Signing and Decryption. A description of the meaning of each setting is displayed alongside each setting. Clicking the 'Default Level' button in the 'Security Settings' interface will move this slider to, and implement, the 'Medium' setting.
Note: using the slider to select a default security setting will implement that setting for all users and will over-rule any custom and group security settings.
For more details, please see 'Default Settings'. For a table that specifies the precise security options implemented by each preset, see 'Appendix 3 - Default Security Profiles'.
- Custom Level Settings - The Custom level option enables advanced users to make customized configuration for Encryption, Signing and Decryption settings.
Comodo SecureEmail User Guide | © 2010 Comodo Security Solutions Inc. | All Rights Reserved.