How to Connect CIS to ESM at the Local Endpoint
This page explains how computers that have standalone Comodo Internet Security (CIS) installed on them can be connected to the ESM service via the CIS interface (directly from the endpoint itself).
- Open CIS on the endpoint.
- Click 'More' at the top right corner of the interface; then 'Manage This Endpoint'.
- Specify the hostname / IP address and port of the ESM server (default to be entered = 57193 unless changed in the Configuration Tool).
- The ESM agent will be installed on the local machine and a connection will be established with the ESM server.
- Connection details will be displayed at the bottom left of the main interface in the 'Managed Client' area. The machine will initially be placed in the 'Unassigned' group in ESM and will inherit that group's security Policy.
The default parameter for the 'Unassigned' group is security policy = 'Locally configured'. Because the policy is 'Locally Configured', this means that ESM will not enforce policy on the endpoint and the endpoint will use the CIS settings that are currently in place.
- Endpoints can be moved into groups in the 'Computers' area. See 'Creating Endpoint Groups' for more details.
- Policies can be specified and assigned to groups/individual computers in the 'Policies' area. See 'Creating a New Policy' and 'The Policies Area - Key Concepts' for more details.
- Switch between local and remote administration modes at the local endpoint by using the 'Manage Remotely/Manage Locally' link underneath 'Managed Client'.
Expanded version of the process
Windows Start Menu - Start > All Programs > COMODO > COMODO Internet Security > Comodo Internet Security
- Double-click the desktop shortcut or tray icon
The CIS Summary screen will display details of the connection on the bottom left pane of the interface only after the installation of the ESM agent.
Enter the hostname / IP address of the server in which the ESM service is installed in the ESM Server field. These details, if required, can be found by opening the configuration ESM tool on the server (Start > All Programs > COMODO > Endpoint Security Manager > CESM configuration tool). See configuration tool for more details.
Do not change the port number from 57193 in the ESM Server Port field unless the administrator changed the port using the configuration tool.
The administrator can switch to 'Local Mode' from 'Remote Mode' by clicking the 'Manage Locally' link (and vice versa if the machine is currently under 'Local Mode').