CIS Premium Installation
Note – Before beginning installation, please ensure you have uninstalled any other antivirus and firewall products that are on your computer. More specifically, remove any other products of the same type as those Comodo products you plan to install. For example, if you plan to install only the firewall then you do not need to remove 3rd party antivirus solutions and vice-versa. If you are installing full CIS (both FW and AV) then you need to remove both types of product if they are present on your system. Failure to remove products of the same type could cause conflicts that mean CIS will not function correctly. Users should consult their vendor’s documentation for precise uninstallation guidelines, however the following rough steps will help most Windows users:
Click the Start button to open the Windows Start menu
Select Control Panel > Programs and Features (Win 7, Vista); Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (XP)
Select your current antivirus or firewall program(s) from the list
Click Remove/Uninstall button
Repeat process until all required programs have been removed
In order to install Comodo Internet Security - Premium, you need to download the setup file from http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis.
- Choose whether you want the 32 or 64 bit version of CIS then click 'download'
- If you are unsure which version you need, select the 32/64-bit Windows Installer. This executable contains BOTH 32 and 64 bit installers. The setup routine will automatically detect which version of Windows you have and install the appropriate version. Please note, the Universal Windows Installer is a much larger download than the individual 32 or 64 bit setup files.
After downloading the required Comodo Internet Security setup file to your local hard drive, double click on it to start the installation wizard. Please note, Comodo TrustConnect (secure wireless connectivity service) will be installed along with CIS. With TrustConnect installed, you are automatically warned whenever CIS detects that you have joined an unsecured/publc wireless network and offered the opportunity to activate/login to your account.
STEP 1 -Choosing the Interface Language
The installation wizard starts automatically and the 'Select the language' dialog is displayed. Comodo Internet Security is available in several languages.
Select the language in which you want Comodo Internet Security to be installed from the drop-down menu and click 'OK'.
- Please review and/or modify the settings in the dialog. Once you are satisfied with your settings, click ‘Agree and Install’ to begin installation.
- If you click ‘Customize Installer’ then you can choose advanced options. These include which CIS components you wish to install, the ability to choose CIS installation path and other advanced CIS configuration settings.
Receive Comodo News and Notifications
Comodo Internet Security Premium is activated free of cost for lifetime usage. If you wish to sign up for news about Comodo products then enter your email address in the space provided. This is optional.
Comodo Secure DNS service replaces your existing Recursive DNS Servers and resolves all your DNS requests exclusively through Comodo's proprietary Directory Services Platform. Comodo's worldwide network of redundant DNS servers provide fast and secure Internet browsing experience without any hardware or software installation.
In addition, Comodo's Secure DNS ensures safety against attacks in the form of malware, spyware, phishing etc., by blocking access to malware-hosting sites, by any program running in your system.
In this step of installation of Comodo Internet Security, the DNS settings of your computer can be changed automatically to direct to our DNS servers. You can disable the service at anytime and revert to your previous settings.
For more details on Comodo Secure DNS Service and to know how to enable or disable the service, refer to Appendix 2 Comodo Secure DNS Service.
To enable Comodo Secure DNS, select ‘Change my DNS Servers to COMODO SecureDNS Servers. Click the 'What is this' link to know more about Comodo Secure DNS servers.
Cloud Based Behavior Analysis
End User License Agreement
Read the complete User License Agreement by clicking the 'User License Agreement' link before proceeding with the installation.
After reading the agreement, click the 'Back' button to return to the installation configuration screen.
Clicking the 'Customize Installer' link opens an advanced options interface that enables you to choose which elements you would like to install, configure security popup alerts and choose the installation path. In order to obtain maximum protection, Comodo recommends that you uninstall any third party personal Firewall and Antivirus in your system and select all the components to get the full benefit from Comodo Internet Security.
Select the Components to Install (Click to go back to Step 2)
Click the 'Installation Options' tab to select the components to be installed.
- Install COMODO Firewall - Selecting this option installs Comodo Firewall and Defense+ components. De-select this option, if you already have third party Firewall protection activated in your computer system. Installing Comodo Firewall is a mandatory requirement if you are a Pro or Complete customer.
- Install COMODO Antivirus - Selecting this option installs Comodo Antivirus and Defense+ components. De-select this option, if you already have a third party virus protection activated in your computer system. Installing Comodo Antivirus is a mandatory requirement if you are a Pro or Complete customer.
- Install COMODO GeekBuddy - Selecting this option installs a 24 x 7 Remote assistance support service in which Comodo experts remotely access your computer when you need it for getting help with computer related problems. Refer to the section Comodo GeekBuddy for more details.
- Install COMODO Dragon - Selecting this option installs Comodo Dragon, a fast and versatile Internet browser based on Chromium technology and infused with Comodo's unparalleled level of security. Refer to the section Comodo Dragon for more details.
Click the ‘Configuration Options’ tab to configure Defense+ and pop-up alert options.
- Defense+ - The Defense+ component of Comodo Internet Security is a host intrusion prevention system that constantly monitors the activities of all executable files on your PC. With Defense+ activated, the user is warned EVERY time an unknown application executable (.exe, .dll, .sys, .bat etc) attempts to run. The only executables that are allowed to run are the ones you give permission to. Comodo recommends this option be enabled.
- Security Popup alerts - When this option is selected, CIS is configured to automatically deal with most issues in a secure manner without raising a popup alert - thus minimizing user intervention. Most users should leave this option at the default state of enabled. Advanced users wishing to gain greater insight into CIS actions and/or to have more control over security decisions may wish to disable this option.
Click the 'Files Locations' tab to choose the installation path.
This screen allows you to select the folder in your hard drive for installing Comodo Internet Security. The default path is C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security. If you want to install the application in a location other than the default location, click 'Browse' to choose a different location.
After customizing your installation, click the 'Back' button to return to the installation configuration screen.
Click the 'Agree and Install' button to proceed with the installation.
STEP 3 - Installation Progress (Click to go back to step 2)
The installation progress will be displayed...
...and on completion, the restart dialog will be displayed.
STEP 4 - Restarting Your System
In order for the installation to take effect, your computer needs to be restarted.
Please save any unsaved data and click 'Yes' to restart the system. If you want to restart the system at a later time, click 'No'.
|Note: The installation will take effect only on the next restart of the computer.|
STEP 5 - After Restarting Your System
After restarting, a ‘thankyou’ screen will appear. This contains a summary of the components you chose to install as well as some friendly advice.
This screen will appear every time you start your system. If you do not want the screen to be displayed on every start up, select the check box 'Do not show this window again' before closing the window.
If your computer is connected to a home or work network, then you are prompted to configure it at the 'New Network Detected!' dialog. At the top of the dialog, the connectivity mode will be displayed, whether wired or wireless.
- Select your location from the three options above
- Select 'Do not automatically detect new networks' If you are an experienced user that wishes to manually set-up their own trusted networks (this can be done in 'Network Zones' and through the 'Stealth Ports Wizard')
CIS checks if the new network is an unencrypted WIFI network or not and if it is, the following warning will be displayed:
Select your choice from the two options above. If you select, 'Secure communication with TrustConnect', you will be presented with the opportunity to login into your existing account or create a new account:
Refer to the section TrustConnect Overview for more details.
If you do not want to encrypt your traffic between you and the Internet using TrustConnect, select the second option, 'Continue Unsecured.
The virus database will be updated automatically for the first time after installation.
The antivirus scanning will commence automatically after virus database has been updated.
If you do want to scanning process to continue at this time, click the 'Stop Scan' button.
After the scanning is complete, a warning screen will be displayed if any threats are detected.
- Click 'Yes, I want an expert to clean it' if you would like to engage a GeekBuddy support operative to remotely clean the infections for you. Geekbuddy is an ‘always on’ chat based support service that gives you real time access to a human support technician, 24/7. Apart from thoroughly cleaning your computer of viruses and other threats, our technicians can also perform a wide range of other services should as PC optimization and software/hardware troubleshooting. All you need to do is ask them through the dedicate IM chat window and they will be immediately available to provide fast help and advice on any PC problem.
This ‘warning’ is only to promote the advantages of having a such a dedicated operative on hand to personally help out with issues such as these. Any users alarmed by this message should be reassured that the CIS antivirus engine is perfectly capable of removing any detected threats.
- If you choose,''No…’ when threats are detected then please immediately proceed to the CIS interface where you will be able to clean all infections.
Comodo Internet Security User Guide | © 2012 Comodo Security Solutions Inc. | All rights reserved